Thursday, December 03, 2009

I Blew My Brains Out While Watching Local News


I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, but I have to get all of my local TV news from about three news stations. At about 5 to 9 am they have some of the worst people in the world doing the local news. I see the same fucking faces every morning, sometimes they look more dead than others. That doesn't bother me so much, what does are the people on there that have THE most annoying voices I have ever heard in my life.

Add to this the fact that the sound guy must not know what he is doing either, because usually these annoying voices are screaming at me about the new Local Hollywood Report or some dumb ass story on something I do not care about. I honestly hate to name names, but if you are a local then you know who Haley Burks is, simply because of the fact that she sounds like she never stops doing crack. Not because what she says is crazy, but because she speaks completely out of her nose. I seriously almost vomited once.

But why does this matter? Why can't I just turn off my telly or just watch something else? Because, honestly, this early in the morning all I can do is put it on the news. I've lived in cities that have awesome local news, my favorite thing to do was wake up and turn it on. It would keep me awake and be quite informative, usually.

Odessa, TX (unfortunately) is one place I can not do that. The stories that are reported on have no relevance to what is going on in our community. This morning one of the top stories was that Facebook is no longer going to have regional networks. WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT IS THAT ALL ABOUT!?!?!?!?! I read the letter on facebook, anyone that has facebook read it. Anyone that does not own a facebook profile could give a shit!!!

Alright, maybe I am being a little over-sensitive about this issue. But when you purchase cable, there should be some expectation of quality programming. I wonder who exactly funds the local news programs anyways? I'm sure the tax-payers support them on some level. Probably ad-supported otherwise. Maybe that is the problem. Maybe if we stopped letting our advertising companies run every little bit of our lives, we wouldn't feel so fucking frustrated from everything.

Maybe if we were ever able to go to a website, look at a book, fucking zone out for 5 seconds without being relentlessly assaulted by the latest ad campaign, life might begin to regain some balance. Perhaps taking consideration on what is being reported and who is reporting it could make a huge difference in number of viewers. In a market like Odessa, people are so isolated from trends and other things going on around the country that people here don't realize that we CAN have options and that we DO NOT have to put up with this ridiculousness.

Is it really that big of a deal, honestly? No, not at all. Do I like being melodramatic about things in the hope someone will read it, agree and attempt to do something about it? Nope. Perhaps the issue lies with me, I'm not even sure anymore. It's a wicked business, if you find me dead in my room tomorrow now you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BuzzFeed (funny shit)


Via BuzzFeed